Twilight Seekers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twilight Seekers

Twilight seekers..now with hot forum fighting action 8D

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» . . . .
Relativism I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2022 7:52 am by xVietHerox

» It's been a while
Relativism I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2022 7:50 am by xVietHerox

» Sword Art Online
Relativism I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 4:19 am by AzureFlameGod86

» .hack//FRAGMENT BACK ONLINE!!!
Relativism I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2014 7:08 pm by Seraphim_Zera

» ITS HAPPENING
Relativism I_icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 8:51 am by LieN

» Kara No Kyokai The Movie
Relativism I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 7:03 pm by AzureFlameGod86

» .hack Guilty Dragon Convention booth.
Relativism I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 11:21 pm by AzureFlameGod86

» Farewell to a Seeker.
Relativism I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 5:16 pm by AzureFlameGod86

» Sme new .hack picture...
Relativism I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 5:10 pm by AzureFlameGod86

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Relativism

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TriRevan
Child of Morganna
TriRevan

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 7:57 pm

My English teacher, a very intelligent yet divisive man, tells us that in our lives, school as well as in essays or research papers, we cannot hope to be successful if we plan to be relativists.

The shtick of relativism is commonly referred to, at least by my generation, as 'fence-sitting' i.e. they never pick a side. They think they can look at every single issue from both sides every single time and be completely unbiased and take no sides.

The main reason he brings this up is because in our research papers (the essay some of you might have heard me bring up from time to time) is arguing against a point, in said argument, our writing must be structured as anti-relativist i.e. choose a side, and stick with it, which means making almost arrogant statements/claims/arguments.

My question to all of you, then, is how many of us are relativists, try to at least, and plan to, or plan to try to, be one in the future? What's kinda your based knowledge and/or belief on relativism? Are you usually a fence-sitter or a side-taker?
Back to top Go down
proceedtoheaven
The Terror of Death
proceedtoheaven

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:46 pm

i work everything i do off the notion that there are two sides to every story...then theres the over 3 billion 3rd side to deal with. so be careful how you word what you say.

Im not saying im fence sitting, but i will observe each point closely and only speak up when i actually grasp something. and when i pick a side its not as if i wont bend should me point be rendered invalid. Im the first to admit if i was wrong...but also the one who will speak up strongly for what i believe.
Back to top Go down
https://seekers.canadaboard.net
TriRevan
Child of Morganna
TriRevan

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:51 pm

Indeed. Looking at both sides before coming up with your stance and argument is always wise, and giving in if your point is in fact proven invalid.

Which still made me wonder since my teacher says that, in general, professors and stuff enjoy/give higher marks to essays written in complete anti-relativist.

That aside, I'm brought to another point of curiosity, how exactly do you think of the people who are relativists?
Back to top Go down
proceedtoheaven
The Terror of Death
proceedtoheaven

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:01 pm

hmm...idk im actually i dont know. Everyone has their own way of viewing things...to tell them their wrong in my opinion is the reason that there are so many relativists in the first place...allot of it is fear of your own personal beliefs and ideas being viewed as wrong or stupid..so people clam up and just get used to being that way. at least from what ive seen...
Back to top Go down
TriRevan
Child of Morganna
TriRevan

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:07 pm

That's true, yet there are still those whose strong belief is actually rooted in their lack of taking a side, which can actually stray them away from 'clamming up.' Such defenses consist of statements like, "That's true for you, but it isn't for me" or "You can't judge others' beliefs solely by the standards of your own."

An example my teacher brings up is sexism in Islam religion; men are completely allowed to be as abusive and horrible as they want to be to the women, and that's because of their religion.

A relativist would argue, "Well, it's immoral in our culture, but to them that's how it is, so I can't say they're wrong," which of course springs up a lot of controversy and debate.
Back to top Go down
proceedtoheaven
The Terror of Death
proceedtoheaven

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:12 pm

well that argument would be fine for such things like their belief in said religion...but in full honesty no matter what your faith ALLOWS..my argument would be that any action degrading or damaging another human life is something to be immediately outlawed and allowed to fade into the sands of time. The fact that this is what their used to doesnt make it any less valid of a point that in no way is it something right.
Back to top Go down
TriRevan
Child of Morganna
TriRevan

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:35 pm

I firmly believe that as well. Sometimes it's not a matter of perspective, but just a matter of logic. Though I suppose things we do is taken from other cultures as insulting/degrading/wrong in the same manner.

In any event, another shtick of relativism is something called absolutism, which they are completely against. Simply put, they believe that there is no one set truth for any situation or question, that there are many relative truths based on numerous standpoints, cultures, and arguments.
Back to top Go down
kingalex120
Key of Twilight
kingalex120

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:36 pm

Unless I know for a fact what I'm saying is true I'm a fence sitter.
it saves me alot of headaches.
Back to top Go down
TriRevan
Child of Morganna
TriRevan

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:39 pm

Then how do you argue (if you have or would at all) in a discussion regarding things that does not have a certain truth or theory to it? e.g. some sort of event in the past with not much evidence on it, or an issue which may come up in the future.
Back to top Go down
HaseoXthofTwilight
Knight of The World
HaseoXthofTwilight

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:39 pm

Relativism has always been an enemy of mine as far as im concerned.
I usually form my opinions first though and then delve deeper to affirm if they are indeed correct. But once im sure of my point ill back it.
Since religion was brought up one could say that the ordeal with the abuse of those people some many years ago was the entire churches fault and they should pay for their crimes. And ive heard a lot of relativists saying that same thing then also turning around saying that the victims are also equally at fault for being indecisive with telling someone. I know my stance would have been the complete annulment and inhalation of the catholic church if I was the one int he position of power to do something about it.
Back to top Go down
kingalex120
Key of Twilight
kingalex120

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:42 pm

a Good point revan but I'm not one to argue a point in anything unless I have a firm belief in Either

A:undeniable proof
or
B:a deeply rooted belief in my point.

On a Side note some people I find even in proving my point it was a waste of time because there to thick headed to listen regardless.
Back to top Go down
TriRevan
Child of Morganna
TriRevan

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Of course. There are always those inefficient, immature, or otherwise incapable of arguing cogently without ending up thick-skulled and stubborn in the end.

And, yeah, running around and finding blame and reason for both sides is clearly characteristic for relativists.
Back to top Go down
HaseoXthofTwilight
Knight of The World
HaseoXthofTwilight

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:50 pm

I despise the kind of people who when presented with a well though out and put together point rebut with something along the liens of "sow hat!?" "and?" or my personal favorite the insult of the one who made the point like a moronic idiot.

Its irritating when someone cant at least think coherently.
Back to top Go down
kingalex120
Key of Twilight
kingalex120

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:52 pm

sadly it would seem people who actually use actual logic is growing smaller and smaller.
Back to top Go down
TriRevan
Child of Morganna
TriRevan

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:53 pm

Yeah, and then there are those with 'religious over conventional logic.' You know, that good ol' "Well, you can't prove that it isn't."
Back to top Go down
kingalex120
Key of Twilight
kingalex120

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:55 pm

if I had 5 dollars for every time I heard that argument I'd be filthy fucking rich. I find it the most in Christians sadly.
Back to top Go down
TriRevan
Child of Morganna
TriRevan

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:58 pm

Well, I'm not saying I'm bashing the entire Christian religion, since it's almost completely the same as Catholicism, which is what my religion is, I can safely say I can bash on a few Christians who think that way. lol, if I only had a nickel per time I'd be rich myself. Haha.
Back to top Go down
proceedtoheaven
The Terror of Death
proceedtoheaven

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:58 pm

I enjoy a good argument so im sure thats what helps back up my belief in my way of doing things. my dads one of those "speak your mind or shut the fuck up" people..so thats kinda what i am XDD i try not to be cold about it but the way i see it if you DONT voice your opinion on something its just as bad as voicing a bad opinion...because it doesnt help anyone.

My dad always said..."why are you afraid to say soimething...the WORST they can say is no...in which case you just brush yourself off and try again."

and as someone who views religion with a grain of salt ill keep out of this >.>

Last edited by proceedtoheaven on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kingalex120
Key of Twilight
kingalex120

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 10:00 pm

I like that heaven, I like that alot.
Back to top Go down
proceedtoheaven
The Terror of Death
proceedtoheaven

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 10:01 pm

my dads an uneducated genius with these things XD
Back to top Go down
TriRevan
Child of Morganna
TriRevan

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 10:01 pm

Well, with the whole unvoiced opinion to bad opinion..

"It's better to be silent and thought a fool than speak out and remove all doubt."
Back to top Go down
HaseoXthofTwilight
Knight of The World
HaseoXthofTwilight

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Well I was born and raised Catholic and still say that the catholic church infact all religion should be abolished into the dark ages.
All the shit that the church caused over the centuries is just simply unforgivable. Come on persecuting people for not doing what they say? Complete bull.
Im completely with ya on the churches ignorance level Tri.
Back to top Go down
kingalex120
Key of Twilight
kingalex120

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 10:03 pm

You'd be amazed how many of them still carry those barbaric ways haseo.
Back to top Go down
HaseoXthofTwilight
Knight of The World
HaseoXthofTwilight

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Oh im not the slightest bit shocked Alex.
Back to top Go down
TriRevan
Child of Morganna
TriRevan

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 10:06 pm

One of my friends is ardently against all forms of religion as well.

Although I cite a lot of my friends' opinions in that, yes, lots of religion fuels and influences a lot of good morals, behavior, and etc., but there's also the other side that garners attention for controversy and ill-discussion.

From which, I must say, religion adds both good and bad, but in a grand scheme of things, far more people die because of it than is saved.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Relativism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Relativism   Relativism I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Relativism
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Twilight Seekers :: General Discussions :: Serious Discussion-
Jump to: